Wednesday 11 November 2009

Remembrance Day


Today is Remembrance Day, and even though I was just at home I sat for the 2 minute silence at 11am and remembered those who gave their lives for our freedom. I thought about all those who haven't made it home.
I think 2 minutes of your time every year is really not alot to give. I really do not understand workplaces that do not uphold this tradition. This is my favourite WWI poem;

The War Sonnets: V. The Soldier
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

- Rupert Brooke

Flanders Field WWI

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I didn't know it was remembrance day... it IS good thing to look back & remember :) Makes us grateful. Thanks for sharing :)
    31everything.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Fern :) If it helped someone else remember then it was worth it :)

    Emma
    x

    ReplyDelete